A sleep disorder (somnipathy) is a medical disorder of the sleep patterns of a person. Some sleep disorders are serious enough to interfere with normal physical, mental and emotional functioning.
Things you might not know about sleep
- Snoring is a common problem, especially among men, but it isnít harmful.
- You can "cheat" on the amount of sleep you get. Quality not quantity. No matter how much your mother tells you that you need eight hours of sleep, if you're not tired and you can't truly relax, your sleep time will be worthless.
- Daytime sleepiness always means a person isn't getting enough sleep.
- The older you get, the fewer hours of sleep you need.
- One-third of your life is spent sleeping.
- People who sleep well and who allow themselves adequate amounts of sleep each night should feel awake and alert all day.
- It is possible for you to have a sleep disorder and not be aware of it.
- Your sleep environment can be the single most important factor when it comes to sleep.